Saturday, August 4, 2012

WOOD FLOWER DOOR DECORATION

Today I'm sharing a fun little craft project I think you're going to LOVE!  This craft is pretty simple, but it does require a few tools

Normally I don't post a picture of the finished project until the end of my post, but it's just so stinkin cute, I couldn't resist. :)



When I was visiting my sister in Des Moines a few years ago saw these super cute flowers on a couple front doors, but we couldn't find them anywhere.  How frustrating is that!  Maybe you all know where to find them but I looked....I REALLY looked...and totally failed. 

Anyhoo, after some discussion with my two sisters and my mom, we decided we would start making them.  Sooo, if you decide this project isn't for you, there is a link at the top of my page that will direct you to our Etsy Shop where you can purchase one.  We will make the flower in the color you choose...so you can still be a little crafty even doing it this way.  Hehe :)

Ok, so here it goes...

I started by making a template.


I used the template to trace out the pieces for my flower onto a 2' X 2' piece of 3/4" plywood.


 Once everything was traced, we used a jig saw to cut out our pieces

Yikes, don't look at my landscaping!  It looks terrible.  I'll blame it on the drought we've had this summer. :)


Some of the edges were a little rough, so we lightly sanded everything.


Next we painted all of our pieces using craft paint and then stained the edges of the boards with some dark walnut stain to finish them off.

Dark walnut stain is the best...I've used the same can on several different projects.  :)

Don't mind the messy table.  We started this project on my back porch, but had to jump ship when a hurricane like storm rolled through.  Everything got dumped set on the kitchen table in a hurry. 


We used construction adhesive to attach the center of our flower to our petals.


We I got a little impatient at this step.  I would recommend giving the construction adhesive some time to set up before moving the flower.  BUT...if you're like me and can't wait to get this flower on your front door...proceed to the next step. :)


Once the construction adhesive has had a chance to set up, flip the flower over and screw your petals to your center piece.  You'll want to use a screw that won't rust and that isn't going to be too long.  I used 1 1/4" galvanized screws.  The kind gentleman at Menards told me these would work well.  


I'm so happy with how it turned out.  It's the perfect addition to my front door for the Spring and Summer months!




No comments:

Post a Comment